SPRFMO IT Manager
Download and print version
The SPRFMO Secretariat is seeking a part-time “IT Manager” who will look after the Secretariat’s hardware and software, assist with technical aspects of the fisheries database and SPRFMO website presence as well as managing IT services at meetings.
Start Date: 1 July 2017
Deadline for applications: 30 April 2017
Applications should be directed to the Executive Secretary and submitted by email to email@example.com
SPRFMO IT Manager (Part-time)
The Secretariat of the South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation (SPRFMO) is an intergovernmental organisation with headquarters (Secretariat) in Wellington. SPRFMO manages fishery resources in the high seas of the South Pacific Ocean with the objective to ensure their long-term conservation and sustainable use.
The Secretariat is seeking a part-time “IT Manager” who will look after the Secretariat’s information technology and assists with data processing and technical aspects of the SPRFMO website. The position requires relevant IT certification and experience with database administration, excellent organisational and interpersonal skills, and entails occasional international travel. As a staff member of the SPRFMO Secretariat, the incumbent will be an international civil servant and has to conduct him- or herself in a manner in keeping with the international nature of the Commission.
The IT Manager works closely with all SPRFMO staff members and is supervised by the Executive Secretary. He/she is expected to carry out the following work:
1. Management of the Secretariat’s information technology
- Installation and maintenance of computer hardware including servers
- Advising the Executive Secretary regarding appropriate and up-to-date IT hardware and software
- Purchase and installation of software
- Solving IT problems
2. Database and web support
- Support the Secretariat with the compilation, processing and dissemination of fishery data
- Liaise with contractors to ensure the compatibility of different databases in use by the Secretariat
- Support the Secretariat with technical aspects of its web presence, e.g. setting up discussion fora, password-protected pages, archives etc.
3. Other responsibilities
- Provide IT services at SPRFMO meetings, e.g. manage internet access and meeting servers for delegates
- Assist delegates with IT related issues
- Assist the Secretariat with general tasks, e.g. dissemination of information, organisation of meetings, logistical tasks, communication, etc.
- Perform any other tasks requested by the Executive Secretary
Core competencies required are
- Certification as server technician, and other relevant IT fields
- Sound technical knowledge of computer hardware, IT security and standard office software
- Experience with database administration
- Experience in website building and Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress)
- A minimum of 3 years work experience
- Knowledge relevant for international fisheries bodies a plus (e.g. languages, work experience abroad, familiarity with fisheries matters)
- Excellent organisation and communication skills, team player
- Good spoken and written command of the English language